This week we have some great stories for you as David and Sarah are joined by a couple of great guests:
- Amy Lewin, Senior Reporter at Sifted
- James Teodorini, European Partnerships Development Manager at Button
- Oliver Prill, CEO of Tide
- Megan Caywood, Global Head of Digital Strategy at Barclays
We kick off the episode by taking a look at how British fintech booms as 2019 is set to be a record year for UK investment. To start us off, we have a soundbite from Jo Oliver, Partner at Octopus Ventures, commenting on the story.
Jo explains why the trend of signinificant investment is likely to continue and why we shouldn't read too much into a 30% decline in investment deals. James Teodorini makes the point that only 15% of this investment is early stage and he'd like to see this figure increase, as this indicates that we're still seeing new entrants to the market. (4:35)
Up next, JPMorgan's CEO is looking for the banks next acquisition, and they're expected to be targeting a US neobank. This sparks a built it vs. buy it debate, with the guests discussing the pros and cons of each, as well as a discussion about how open neobanks are to being acquired and much more. (14:47)
Other stories include:
- Facebook 'to be fined $5bn over Cambridge Analytica scandal' (28:15)
- Fintech in Latin America continues to draw big dollars as Softbank invests $231 million in Creditas (34:34)
- Startup Button Rides Mobile Commerce Growth to New Financing (41:53)
- Sydney could use facial recognition for public transport payments (46:58)
- Private Eye's analysis of UK challenger bank's tube ads (59:08)
All this and so much more on today's show.
Fintech Insider by 11:FS is a podcast dedicated to all things fintech, banking, technology and financial services. Hosted by a rotation of 11:FS experts including David Brear, Simon Taylor, Jason Bates, Leda Glyptis and Sarah Kocianski and joined by a range of brilliant guests, we cover the latest global news, bring you interviews from industry experts or take a deep dive in subject matters such as APIs, AI or digital banking.
Don't forget to subscribe so you never miss an episode, leave a review on iTunes and let us know your thoughts on the stories @FintechInsiders on Twitter where you can also ask the hosts questions, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
This week's episode was produced by Laura Watkins and edited by Alex Woodhouse.
- British fintech booms as 2019 is set to be a record year for UK investment | CityAM
- JPMorgan Chase's CEO is hunting for the bank's next acquisition — and we think a US neobank could be the target | Business Insider
- Facebook 'to be fined $5bn over Cambridge Analytica scandal' | BBC News
- Fintech in Latin America continues to draw big dollars as Softbank invests $231 million in Creditas | TechCrunch
- Startup Button Rides Mobile Commerce Growth to New Financing | WSJ
- Sydney could use facial recognition for public transport payments | Finextra