In this episode
We have a whole host of hosts as David, Jason, Simon and Aden are joined by Mariano Belinky and Jamie Campbell for the news.
This week in a European-led section of the show the team discuss Swedish giant Klarna getting it’s official banking licence to begin delivering financial services, Spain’s first fully digital bank, European “robo advice”, and the European Central Bank demanding declaration of all cyber security breaches.
It’s raining money in Durham as Atom gets a further £30 million investment from the government, and why did Will.i.am became an advisor to Atom – and does it work?
Additionally, they also take on the Barclays execs’ fraud charges during the financial crisis in 2008, ahead of their hearing next week; and an equally political story on the other side of the pond: Elizabeth Warren’s attempts to remove 12 Wells Fargo board members.
Finally, the guys also discuss whether PayPal are right to dismiss the Apple Pay challenge; and the impact of two thirds of the world’s population now having mobile phone access and what does that mean for digital innovation?
- Mariano Belinky – Managing Partner at Santander InnoVentures
- Jamie Campbell – Head of Awareness at Bud
News this week
- Techcrunch – Klarna gets a full banking license, gears up to go beyond financing payments – Link
- Techcrunch – Monese adds Direct Debits to become even more like a regular bank account – Link
- Banking Tech – Spain’s first fully digital bank Openbank in major transformation – Link
- Bloomberg – Barclays and Four Former Execs Charged Over Qatar Probe – Link
- CNBC – Sen. Elizabeth Warren calls for removal of 12 Wells Fargo board members – Link
- Business Insider – BlackRock gets into European ‘robo advice’ as it leads €30 million investment in Scalable Capital – Link
- Business Insider – Atom Bank gets £30 million from the government as Philip Hammond pledges investment boost – Lin
- Tech City News – Will.i.am reveals why he became an advisor to UK FinTech startup Atom Bank – Link
- The Telegraph – PayPal chief dismisses Apple Pay challenge – Link
- City AM – Banks to be forced to reveal all cyber security breaches to the European Central Bank – Link
- NFC World – Swedish commuters validate tickets using NFC microchips implanted in their hands – Link
- Daily Fintech – International Regtech Association Launch and IBM Watson announce Regtech Apps – Link
- Venture Beat – 5 billion people now have a mobile phone connection – Link