Laura and David take a look at the last week’s biggest stories, alongside Jeff Tijssen, Monzo’s Leah Templeman and Bud’s Ed Masleveckas.
Kicking off with a few announcements from some big banks - Deutsche Bank claims the bank account could be a thing of the past in less than 20 years time, which sounds contravertial but in the same speech it appears he’s only just realised banking is ready for disruption. In a similar vein, Citigroup annouce their big banking comeback… with a mobile app.
Moving onto the UK banking and fintech scene, TSB have announced the arrival of their marketplace - making them the first of the high street banks to offer such a thing. Ross Gallagher caught up with TSB’s Commercial Director, Richard Davies to find out more.
Next up, Leah talks us through Monzo’s integration of Yolt and also helps us dissect Monzo’s diversity report - David is most impressed with their “sexy” graphs.
We also talk about Revolut’s virtual disposable cards - and the sheer rate at which Revolut are rolling out new products and services. Laura caught up with Vlad Yatsenko, Revolut’s CTO to find out more about the use case behind the virtual cards and how it helps prevent card fraud in ecommerce.
The second half kicks off with two international money transfer stories as Santander team up with Ripple to speed up cross border payments to under 24hours - but they might have been pipped to the post by new BBVA-backed start up, Denizen who claims it has created a “global banking platform” that allows customers to receive money in one country and pay it out in another immediately, avoiding international transfer fees and eliminating currency exchange fees.
Rounding out the show with millennials, coffee and cake as Amex acquire UK fintech Cake while Square is encouraging millennials to buy more coffee with their Square Cash cards for discounts… and the chatbot Plum is offering more ethical investment services to its mainly millennial user base.
And finally a man beats up a cash machine in Australia and the footage makes the Daily Mail!
We hope you enjoyed the show and had an eggs-cellent Easter weekend! Don’t forget to subscribe so you never miss an episode, and if you really love the show please leave us a review on iTunes.
Let us know your thoughts @FintechInsiders and join the discussion by signing up at Fintech Insider News.
- Bank accounts could disappear within 15 years according to one of Deutsche Bank's most senior execs
- Citigroup to Again Be a Nationwide Bank, but in Digital Form
- TSB launches lending marketplace for small businesses
- Monzo integrates with ING-backed app Yolt
- Monzo shares it's annual update on diversity & inclusion
- Revolut’s disposable cards
- Santander is set to launch an international money transfer app with Ripple
- Denizen launches first fee-free global account
- American Express quietly acquired UK fintech startup Cake for $13.3M
- Square is offering some customers $1 off coffee purchases
- Savings chatbot Plum introduces ethical investment tool